St. Peter Evangelical Church was organized in 1858 by German immigrants in the Town of Rhine. Its first church building was on the corner of Highway FF and Rhine Road. Later, the church was deeded to the town and it was used as the town hall for many years. St. Peter's second church still stands on Highway FF and is now used as a garage. In 1867, the present church was built. A new organ arrived just in time for the church dedication. The church joined the Evangelical Synod of North America. Two bells were brought back from Germany by the pastor in 1869. These bells are rung simultaneously before every worship service.
The rooster atop the steeple has become a symbol of the church. St. Peter is sometimes lovingly called "the rooster church". Many early Evangelical churches in the country bore roosters on their steeples, a reminder of Apostle Peter's Denial of Christ and a symbol for us to remain strong in our faith.
In 2006, St. Peter joined the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference. In 2008 we celebrated our 150th anniversary.